Many homeowners reluctantly carry out their domestic cleaning sessions. The lack of time makes you skip procedures and neglect the condition of your flooring. However, if you know the right methods and tactics to execute the process, you will be able to fit it into your busy routine and enjoy having sparkling tiles at any time. All you have to do is to read on and check our suggestions about more practical tile floor and grout cleaning.
- There are many ways in which you can clean your floor efficiently. Yet, we will discuss three of them which are proven to be time-effective and will help you keep your tile flooring functional for the years to come. Using only water usually does the trick for a quick superficial cleaning. However, the methods below plus the detailed explanation of grout cleaning will make your floor cleaning routine more productive. Have in mind that tile flooring should be swept before you carry out any of the tactics below.
- How to clean grout on tile floors? To tackle precisely this issue, let`s start with that – what is grout? Flooring installers explain that grout is the substance between each piece of tile that is intended to keep the tiles together as well as keep the moisture at bay. An important fact about grout you should know is that it is porous – it will absorb water, dirt and grease. This is why it is essential to know how to clean the grout the right way and keep it in a good state. On a light-coloured grout, you can safely use bleach. However, if you are still concerned that a dicolouration may appear, you can always buy a pH-balanced product for this purpose. If your grout is in a darker shade, you can use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Using a toothbrush you can scrub the dirt and stains off your grout lines. If you are dealing with a very contaminated floor, better leave the solution for a couple of hours so any stubborn stains can come off.
- Now, let`s start with the methods of cleaning your tile flooring. A safe homemade solution is to use dishwashing detergent and water. You already know it is super-efficient against grease so it will do a perfect job on your tiles. Mix equal parts of each in a bucket and mop around your flooring. Let it sit for about half an hour and mop with clear water. After that, make sure you do not walk on the floor for at least 15 minutes so you don`t mess up your sparkling results.
- Option #2 is to use scouring powder and water. Some people use this method to treat stains but it is recommended to clean your whole flooring with it. Mixing equal parts of water and scouring powder will do a great job of removing tough stains and any other impurities that may be lingering on your tile floor. If you don`t want to buy the commercial product, you can make your own scouring powder by mixing borax cleaner, salt and baking soda. Use warm water for better results. If you are dealing with stubborn stains, pretreat them using a soft brush and some of the solution and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Our last suggestion to keep your tile flooring neat is to use vinegar and water mixture. Combine white vinegar with very hot water and mop the floor. The acidity in the vinegar is very effective against grease and other grimes that may be found on a tile floor. Once you have done that, rinse with clean water and let it dry. If for any reason you don`t want to use vinegar, you can substitute it for ½ cup of rubbing alcohol.
- The aforementioned methods should be performed about once a week but you should not neglect the everyday maintenance of your flooring as well. If you can manage your time well, you will find spare 10 minutes to devote to the cleaning routine. Try sweeping your floor as often as you can. Vacuum it once a week so even the tiniest particles are collected. When a spill happens, wipe it up immediately, no matter if it is just water – the grout can absorb it! Another thing you should consider is using a professional assistance – a reputable commercial flooring contractor points out that the best way to preserve your flooring and prolong its life is to use steam cleaning equipment – you can either hire a machine or book a professional service.
As you can see, cleaning your tile flooring is not rocket science. All you have to do is to set a good cleaning regime and don`t miss to follow it – in the end, after a good cleaning session your home will be fresher, healthier and will improve your overall well-being!