Moving out can be a real challenge. If you are ahead of recent removal, then you probably feel that. You have to choose a date, clean thoroughly your house rental, pack your stuff and of course, pay for the move. In this line of thoughts, getting professional help should not be underestimated, should it? Hiring a moving company will save you much time and effort in that really stressful situation. That decision may seem the best one to you, but just as everything else, there are some advantages and disadvantages of it. You should consider them both carefully. Here is what you need to know in this regard:
- Let`s begin with the pros. You will not move on your own – when you don`t use a professional assistance, you have to handle the heavy lifting and the logistics yourself. Of course, you may get help from friends or family, but still, you have to figure out how to place your belongings in the moving truck. You must be very cautious when it comes to your fragile items. Then you will have to drive the van to your new house and unload it. On the other side, professional movers will do all of that for you. They have experience, so it won’t be difficult for them to distribute your things in the moving van. You will not have to worry about anything.
- You will save cash on a long distance move – that may sound impossible but in fact that the farther you move, the better for your personal finances. When you hire a mover, you pay a flat rate on the distance. If you move by yourself, however, then you have to pay for the gas, the truck and the food. So, logically – the longer you are on the road, the more additional costs you have. In the end, you will see that your expenses actually may be bigger than the flat rate of the moving company.
- You will save time – if you move by yourself, then you may spend several days in packing and loading everything in the moving van. The professionals are able to pack and load your things in a single day or maximum two. It is like that not only because they are used to do it but because there are no distractions for them like family obligations or business meetings. So, on the bright side, you will be able to deal with other tasks such as transferring your health records, changing your mailing address or finding the best end of tenancy cleaners in your area.
- Now, about the cons. You will spend more money, especially when speaking of short distances. When you use professional moving services, you will have to pay for their work. The charge usually includes the distance of the move, the total weight of your stuff, the labor needed to complete the removal. If you want the company to pack your items, then you will have to pay even more. Sometimes, it may be a bit more expensive to hire professionals than to move on your own. Do not rush in hiring anyone but consider the best for you and your finances.
- You should trust the moving company you choose – unfortunately, there are many scams out there. Letting strangers sort your possessions requires a lot of trust. You can’t be absolutely sure that these people are ethical and trustworthy enough. Compare prices, read reviews and last but not least – ask around. Think about friends, acquaintances or colleagues who have moved out and make them share their experience. It would be very helpful for you. The thorough research is obligatory before you hire anyone. That is true not only for removals but any other services such as carpet cleaning, etc. Speaking of that, if you are moving a rug with you, better leave the carpet cleaning for once you have moved into your new property. There is no need to risk getting it dirty or dusty during the moving out.
- You will have less control over the process – when you move on your own, you can pack your stuff and load the truck in any way you want to. When you hire movers, however, you don’t make all decisions and you will have to consider the opinions of the professionals. They are trained to do everything in the most effective and safe way, but their methods might not be what you expect. For instance, they may pack all your clothes in several boxes while your idea is to separate winter and summer clothing. There are moving companies that would give you the chance to express your own point of view but still they will do most of the work. If you are not comfortable with that, then reconsider your decision to use professional moving services.
Now that you know the major advantages and disadvantages, it should be a lot easier to make up your mind about using professional moving services. Stay realistic and comply with your budget limit. Hiring professionals when you move out will certainly reduce the stress, but is it the most suitable variant for you?